Deviled eggs occupy an interesting spot in the appetizer menu. On the one hand, they’re full of mayo and goo, a hint of squiggle as the hard-boiled eggs wobble around. On the other hand, they’re f***ing delicious.
I asked my friend, The Orphan, for her recipe and then played with it some, after looking around on the internets. Here’s what I came up with.
- 2 dozen hard-boiled eggs (invariably, I muck up peeling them and they don’t come out right, so I probably delivered closer to 18 eggs)
- ¼ – ½ cup mayo (The Orphan uses Miracle Whip, but I’m a traditionalist)
- 2 TBSP deli mustard (I wanted a little kick and the deli mustard is much better than regular yellow…though on further inspection of the fridge, there was some chipotle mustard that I wished I’d used. Next time…)
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 sliced gherkin pickles
- 3 TBSP pimentos
- Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half lengthwise, gently scoop out the yolks
- Mash the yolks with a fork, mix in mayo until creamy.
- Add in the pickle relish and mustard, then add a touch more mustard if you want a little more zest.
- Spice with the cayenne to taste.
- Gently, but generously spoon in the filling to the egg whites.
- Dust with paprika, add a slice of pickle and pimento to garnish.